Monday 20 April 2020

Day 100 Last day




“A few more than three I’m afraid.” Someone pushed the photo of the bride and groom, Mr and Mrs P Jones on the table between them.

Rosemary stood exultant. Behind her Arthur hopped from foot to foot.
Next to her, Cousin Benny glowered at Pat and his best friend nodded sagely.

“We cracked the picture – it was a fake – you never married Patrick at all,” said Cousin Benny. The short, stocky girl with hair piled up high on her head nodded, “We cracked it ok.”

Rosemary grimaced and accused, “And you thought you could cheat your way to my lovely Patrick’s fortune by pretending you were married to him. Well, I said to Arthur, this doesn’t smell right! There’s something fishy going on. One minute denying you are married and suddenly saying you are!” Arthur faintly nodded in agreement.

Sophie shot a glance at Pat. “Sorry, I don’t know who you are but I can’t stay. I’m moving house and I have things to do.” She began to stand but then sank back on her chair as she noticed the two people coming through the pub door. A smug Sergeant Bill Brooks and his sidekick, Jane Kirk.

And all good things had come to an end.

No comments: