Sunday 27 September 2020

 A Month in Autumn - 06


Big School

 

New academic year.

New uniform, way too big.

She says I will grow into it.

The walk to the end of the close

Is now a cycle ride of an hour.

The freedom of tiny hands

Has given way to wrestling

A bag of trainers and pens.

The pens have already leaked.

The friends from my neighbourhood

No longer around.

New friends and foes appear.

What’s my name? What phone have I got?

The comfort of the form and our teacher

Has given way to a tutor I don’t know.

Colour sweeping the walls

Given way to drab notices in very small print.

There is a timetable

With rooms illogically numbered

So they remain hidden.

Nervous anticipation tingles through the body.

This time next week it will be like a dream

And the well-scrubbed intake become academe.

Reluctant, tentative and nobody’s fool,

This time next week the distant memory of little school.

No comments: