Sunday 14 July 2019

Day 77



Pat looked down. She avoided Julie’s stare.

“Look. It was a stupid thing to do. I was embarrassed – of course I wanted to tell you. But I felt so bad about everything. Firstly, getting married without anyone knowing. You have to understand that Patrick was very domineering – he manipulated me. He didn’t want to share our life – he didn’t want my friends. And secondly, that’s why the marriage didn’t last long and I couldn’t tell anyone – and I mean anyone – he was so controlling and I was embarrassed at the mistake. So, I went into denial and convinced myself that it had never happened. I’m sorry.”

Julie nodded silently. She thought how awful it was that Patrick had controlled her friend – so much so that she had lied about her life to her very best friend. She put her arm round Pat’s shoulder – “It’s going to be OK.” The hugged.

It was not OK. And never was going to be.

No comments: