Saturday 15 April 2017

Come to the Yard


Come to the Yard

We’ve done the best we can.
The going’s good. The weather fine and they are rearing to go.
I say to the owners, ‘just come and see them at the Yard.

We’ll win the Gold Cup if we can.
We are injury free. Three and quarter of a mile – don’t go slow.
They say I can talk for Dorset but I say, ‘just come to the Yard’

Lifelong ambition of every betting man.
I’ve trained the first and second favourites. But you never know.
So when they ask me I say, ‘come to the Yard.’

The TV rights, the weights and the punters, jockeying with jockeys for position,
The starter’s gun, the breath held tight, all waiting for transmission.
You can see them fly by, tote up the winnings, bet on the rest of the card
But if you want see horses at their best, come to Dorset and just come to the Yard.’

No comments: