Sunday 16 April 2017

All the World’s a Stage


All the World’s a Stage

Shapes shift, lights, action and the company of life begin
To talk amongst themselves.
I mumble briefly, lips forming words painfully that don’t have sounds.
In my mind the sentences run along like a brook between the banks
But they cannot hear me.
I am telling fantastic stories, regaling them with naked emotion
That took a lifetime to concoct.

Theatre and poets, orators and optimists,
Stories are powerful, more powerful than data.
I am trying to change the world, shouting my story but they disregard.
All they hear is a distant murmur,
Persuasive stories, a parable for life.
I beseech them to hear me, I wave madly and scream
But the autobiography is refused.

Fanfare sounds, spotlight glare and all the world’s a stage
So talk amongst yourselves.
I stumble presently, eyes weeping convulsions that don’t have tears.
In my head my life chronicle tumbles like a beck over stones
But the merely players hear me not.
I am pouring out memoirs, entertaining them with raw pride
That took my lifetime to construct.

I might be old and my memoirs will soon be memories.
I could be begging in the gutter as my drama turns to dram.
Maybe I live locked inside my head so my apologue turns to apology.

I beg you, cast of thousands, a thousand times don’t cast me out.
I may not look like you, or talk like you, but don’t say you just hear nowt.
I am another colour or have more years that come and go
But I am trying to communicate but how, I do not know.
Before the play is over, lights dim and curtains fall
Speak to me, recognise me, turn and break the Fourth Wall.



No comments: