Sunday 28 April 2013

The best days of your life

Me and Rita swinging on the swings.
1964 and Crispian St Peter’s song on our lips,
“When I woke up this morning
You were on my mind..”
Same swings every day, same song the same way.

Across the park and over the bridge
The beautiful building covered in rusty red leaves,
Where we daily had fun and learned about life.
“I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I got wounds to bind…”

We clamber off the swings, satchels swinging to and fro
And cross the lake where we sometimes learn to row.
“And I got a feelin'
Down in my sho-oo-oo-oes, said
Way down in my sho-oo-oes…….”

Into the school where we learned about friends.
Was it history first? Or was it PE?
“Yeah, I got to ramble, whoa-oh
I got to move on, whoa-oh
I got to walk away my blues ……”

Down to Assembly for messages and a thought for the day.
Still humming we walked down corridors panelled with wood.
The Head passed by in his black gown and nodded, 
his golden retriever walking beside.
Rita goes to History, I go to PE.
How I love to be at this school.

Tomorrow we’ll do it all again,
same swings, same song,
“When I woke up this morning
You were on my mind..”

Linda Prince





No comments: