Thursday 24 October 2019

Day 85




Pat’s eyes were moist. Arthur was welling up. Time to make tea.

“We got married. I always said that we should invite you. I always said we should wait but Patrick just wanted to get married straight away. But what can I say? It just didn’t work out. It became obvious very quickly that, well, Patrick was lovely … but the minute we were married, well, he just wouldn’t let me out of his sight. He was lovely in many ways but I wasn’t right for him. He wanted me to give up work, settle down – me! I just didn’t want to settle down. I am so sorry. It was over in a few weeks – but Patrick couldn’t see it. He kept saying that things would change. I’m afraid I couldn’t change to be what he wanted me to be.”

Rosemary chewed her lip. “So, where did you get married?”

“Does it matter? A small village in Surrey – I had some friends there and they lent us their cottage.”

Rosemary nodded slowly.

“Surrey is home to some of the country's most picturesque villages abundant with red-bricked cottages, snug pubs and charming streets” according to Surrey’s own marketing. And wedding venues – “are you looking for wedding venues in Surrey? As an area renowned for its protected green spaces and royal history, Surrey boasts romantic venues, castles, mansion, polo clubs, stunning locations – everything for the perfect wedding.”

Everything for the perfect wedding. Everything for the not so perfect wedding.

No comments: