Monday 13 April 2020

Day 98




Pat stared at the two cheques. “Who the Hell is Nicky Chadwin?”

“Me. Obviously it’s me. The new me. I’m Nicky Chadwin.”

Pat looked unsure at the cheque. The numbers were eyewatering. The cheque made out to Nicky Chadwin exactly, to the penny, half of the cheque amount paid on the other cheque made out to Dr Patricia Jones, on a smart Baines, Bowes and Brammall cheque and countersigned by Ms Sophie Challerton.

Sophie watched Pat closely. She didn’t trust Pat. And she knew Pat did not trust her. “Don’t even think about it,” Sophie smirked, “if you pick up your cheque and run – I’ll have old Baines cancel the cheque before you can get to the bank.”

Pat caught her breath. “But if I sign this one to Nicky Chadwin or whoever you are and the other one isn’t genuine – then I could be down a lot of money. Why should I trust you?”

Sophie shook her head. Amateurs. She hated working with amateurs. “Look, firstly your cheque is countersigned by old Baines, he may be a bumbling old soak but he is legal. Sophie Challerton the other signatory is, I mean was the Executor – so the cheque is legal. Those millions will slide into your account within hours.

The other cheque, made out to me as Nicky Chadwin, well, you sign it and half comes to my new account – if the money wasn’t in your account my cheque would just bounce! I wouldn’t get my cut. Unless you already have a few million in the Nat West and then it could be paid – but I am assuming you don’t have spare cash like that – so sign!”

Sophie pushed the biro into her face. “Sign!”
Firma la tua vita di distanza. Sign your life away ……

No comments: